Tooth whitening has become one of the most popular ways to improve your smile by lightening the existing shade of your natural teeth. This is a simple and effective treatment which can be carried out by your dentist or at home. Tooth whitening is non-invasive treatment which does not involve drilling or removal of the tooth surface.
There are many reasons why your teeth can become discolored
- Drinking tea, coffee or red wine
- Food with strong colorings
- The natural act of ageing
- A tooth which is damaged by trauma
- Some teeth are naturally pigmented or stained as they develop
- Certain medications
The outer surface of the tooth is called ‘Enamel’ this has tiny microscopic holes which trap everyday stains. Tooth whitening gel is a peroxide based compound which penetrates the holes removing the stains and lightening the teeth.
Your dentist will arrange for you to have a consultation appointment, where your teeth and gums will examined, you can then discuss which of the tooth whitening option would be best for you.
Chair Side Whitening
Whitening can be carried out in the surgery, this way your teeth will be several shades lighter in one to two hours. There are many methods used to achieve whiter teeth while in the dental chair, all the methods follow a similar procedure –
- Your gums will be protected using a rubber coating
- A Peroxide based gel will be applied to your teeth. The gel will begin to work upon contact with the tooth or will be activated using a laser light.
- After a period of time the gel and the protective coating are removed to reveal whiter teeth
Your dentist will provide you with the whitening kit which contains Custom made whitnening trays and a peroxide based gel. To have the trays made -
- Home whitening can take up to 14 days to achieve your desired shade.
- An impression (mould) is taken of your teeth using special dental "putty". The putty is placed into an impression tray; they are both then inserted into your mouth and pushed onto your teeth in order to take an impression. Once the dental putty is set the impression will be removed.
- The molds are sent to the Dental Laboratory where our technician will fabricate your custom made whitening trays.
- The peroxide gel is placed into your trays the tray is then placed onto your teeth for a period of time.
The degree of whitening will vary from patient to patient, greyer teeth can take longer to respond. Tooth whitening is not permanent; the whitening process will need to be repeated every 12 – 18 months to keep your teeth at the shade you desire.